Thursday, February 16, 2012

No one knows what it means but it's provacitive! It gets the poeple going!


Boom shaka laka. I just came back from the Colosseum and Arch of Constantine! Some men were dressed as gladiators outside again, I took pics from afar cause apparently they will scare you into paying them a lot of money after you pose with them. Those funny lookin' D-bags.





Anyways, I also saw about five more Caravaggio paintings this week - all in churches. Which means that with the combination of awful chapel lights and my height deficiency, I took some crap-tastic photos. so there is no point in me uploading them. I will provide links again though! Here:

Crucifixion of St. Peter: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f7/Caravaggio_-_Martirio_di_San_Pietro.jpg/315px-Caravaggio_-_Martirio_di_San_Pietro.jpg

Calling of St. Matthew: https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhGBL7FE8aoes7wP8kT-2j7060YnXtYk2eBskzZmul7h98h8Fkt4qoH_pEeGZ7-IcWTZDgYChIM6dTEWTRWuHdSfDBdT5NUMznW2wBRPOAXWAEvLvf44uEqI4b2bjukZPDeR_cuGeDrCC1h/s1600/caravaggio-call-st-matthew.jpg

Madonna of the Pilgrims: http://www.gnosis.art.pl/iluminatornia/sztuka_o_inspiracji/caravaggio/caravaggio_madonna_dei_pellegrini.jpg

The Martyrdom of St. Matthew: http://www.baroque.us/painting/carava/martyr.jpg

The Inspiration of St. Mattew: http://faculty.txwes.edu/csmeller/Human-Prospect/ProData09/01ModCulMatrix/ModPICs/01Baroque/01aBrqCath/Caravaggio1573/Carr1602MattInsp1177.jpg

And this is a photo I just found online! This is from the Church of St. Louis, from the Contarelli Chapel- three Caravaggio's just there on the wall:


I also got to visit the Roman Forum, what used to be the center of the city and where the emperor would live. Finally got to see Constantine's Basilica and the Arch of Titus!



I also thought I would take this opportunity to just talk about strange little quirks I have noticed in Rome. First off, their female mannequins have nipples. I have no explanation for that. But on that note, I also have a funny picture of the undergarments they offer in one of the MANY lingerie stores in the downtown area of Rome.


Man. I just don't know.

But let me continue with some more oddities. The bathrooms. Not mine - you already know about my one-room bathroom/shower. I am talking about the public restrooms. First off, one cannot simply walk through a door labeled "Toilette" and walk into a private room. The first room is for the sink that men and women share. So though I have not experienced this, I am bound to have awkward eye contact with a stranger after we both just took a dump. And then someone watches the other wash their hands. (Also, the sinks have pedals to pump the *always* freezing water. If one of my firends hadn't spent 15 min. in the bathroom trying to figure this out before me, I would've been lost and bacteria ridden.)

Another thing - I knew that Rome was an urban city but not how urban it truly is. I don't know the names of any of the streets and I doubt the Romans do either because that information would make no damn difference - either way, unless you know where you are headed, you will get lost. There was no city planning while Rome was expanding, it's just all winding roads! And when you're walking around and think you have the right strut in the middle of the cobblestone street, a freakin' car and dangerous gang of Vespas come zoomin' through. Besides the buses, all the transportation is toy-size and could squeeze through a doorway. Freakin' Fiats.

What else is there that's kinda odd?...there is no such thing as coffee to go. Not that no one is in a rush here sometimes, just for some reason, there are no mugs or "to go" cups! You have to drink at the caffe. I suppose it's cause no one drinks coffee here to wake up and get the jitters. It just tastes really good! There's hardly any caffeine and the sizes are pretty modest. No triple shot iced mocha for me till I get back to the states or go to the McDonald's outside the Vatican's walls. Oh yes. Yes, there is a McD, a Burger King and Subway just outside St. Peter's. And I know how to get there using the metro...I got fries last night....

That's all I can think of right now! Arrivederci!

No comments:

Post a Comment